Thursday, September 10, 2009

First Day of Preschool

Don't worry--you haven't missed a year of Ollie's life! It was MY first day! In case you didn't know, I am now officially the teacher of a preschool that meets at our church. I teach 3 mornings a week for a couple hours each. I have 9 (yep, that's SINGLE digits) students. And I am SO excited!

Here's what the rooms looked like a month ago:

And after putting in HOURS the past few weeks, they now look like a preschool room!


(by the way, those awesome cabinets above were made by Matt Beverlin. He's AMAZING!)

Yesterday the kids arrived, ready to go. It was such a fun morning! But here are a few observations that I made--ways 4 year olds are different than 3rd graders:

1. Four year olds still have no filter. They just say what they want!

2. Four year olds don't know how to line up yet. They kept making a huddle, instead of a line. Or coming to the FRONT of the line.

3. Four year olds can be entertained by ANYTHING. For 15 minutes (during inside recess) they EACH chased a ball around. The whole time.

4. Four year olds have a slightly shorter attention span than 9 year olds (seriously, only slightly!) Several times I'd have to remind a student to come back to circle time when they had found interest in a different toy or book.

5. Four year olds sing willingly, without feeling silly!

I think I'll adjust to the differences. And already, they've given me lots of good laughs!

7 comments:

Courtney e said...

Looks like fun!

Rachel said...

I'm so glad it went well. They sound like fun! And I love the shelves!!

Doug and Sarah said...

Sounds like a good place to be for kiddos! The rooms looks great! I saw it first hand at AWANA last night. I know you'll be a wonderful blessing to your students and their parents! Enjoy!

Amy W said...

Wow, I don't think I could teach preschool. They are fun for one week (VBS), but give me middle schoolers any day!!

Kara Janzen said...

Wow Kendall! I've been thinking of you and wondering how it's going so thanks for putting a post on about school. It looks great and makes me kind of miss my little kindergarteners! I can't wait to hear more details next time we're together. Oh, and Braden officially knows Ollie! We have a picture of him in Brad's father's day book I gave him and Braden now says "Ollie" and points to him! Can't wait for them to be together to play again soon!

Allen and Debby Graber said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather said...

Oh Kendall!! I love that room and just the joy of 4 year olds!! You are going to do such a great job!! WOW!! 3 mornings a week? THAT IS GREAT!!!

I have a really great class this year, they are so eager to learn and are just so sweet!!

I have been doing the Leviticus/Hebrews study. It is so great!!

Miss You!

Heather