Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Paul is my new hero....

But I'm sure he wouldn't want to be.

I have a new-found appreciation for Paul in the Bible. (Saul of Tarsus--you know the one, who killed Christians until he met Jesus?)

I just finished reading the book "Paul: A Novel" by Walter Wangerin Jr.
It is an incredible story based on the real-life players of the New Testament: Paul (of course!), Titus, Timothy, Priscilla and Aquila, Lydia, James....as well as real-life historical people: Nero, Claudius, etc. Although it is a novel--it weaves together Paul's writings and journeys in a way that makes his life (and therefore the spread of the Gospel) come ALIVE!

I used to read Paul's writings and think he was a bit of a pompous, sexist guy. (Women can't talk in church??? SERIOUSLY???) But after reading this, (and his New Testament letters again and again...) I'm starting to see instead a guy who was absolutely transformed by Jesus Christ. Who didn't give a single thought to his own life...or his reputation...or his own past, for that matter...but rather, was so consumed with sharing and preserving the TRUE gospel that he stopped at nothing to make that happen.

I was reminded through this book that:
1. God can use ANYONE to accomplish His purposes....
and
2. An encounter with Jesus Christ is JUST as powerful and life-changing today as it was 2,000 years ago!

1 comment:

The Chance Family said...

Beth Moore also has a really good book about Paul's life and journeys. It was really an eye-opener for me when I read it. I love her books too.