Thursday, March 4, 2010

I (heart) Hummus

I had never even heard of the stuff until I came to Bethel. And I didn't even try it there! My first taste was at a wedding this fall...and I craved it for months!

Finally, I bought some at Walmart. Joel and the kids really liked it...but it was a bit pricey. I found out that it is EASY to make, and quite cheap that way. Then, I learned from a friend that pita chips are super-easy to make, too! So yesterday I tried to make the chips...and they were a success!!!!!

So, if you're looking for a yummy, healthier option for lunch, try this:


Hummus

1 can garbanzo beans
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in saucepan, add minced garlic. Cook a couple minutes until tender. Pour half the can of beans and 1-2 T. bean 'juice' into a food processor. Blend until smooth. Repeat. *I have to do this because my food processor is little! Then, add the garlic/oil. Finally, add salt and pepper to taste. If it's too thick, you can always add a bit more of the bean juice.


Pita Chips

1 package pita bread
olive oil
salt, pepper, garlic powder

With a basting brush, brush olive oil on one side of pita bread. Add pepper, salt, and garlic powder to taste. Then, with a pizza cutter, cut pita bread apart into smaller pieces. Cook at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes, until light brown and crisp.


Not only do Joel and I LOVE this stuff, my kids do, too. And I can make it all for about $4--as opposed to buying it for $6-7! (Plus, it makes more when you do it yourself--and there are lots of yummy recipes online to jazz it up a bit!)

8 comments:

Susy M. said...

Making is great but if you are a member of Costco, they have a huge jar for $6.50 and the taste is one you will never forget. It's a Kirkland brand.

Courtney e said...

Tried it. Hated it. But, what else is new, right?

Denita said...

Mmmmmm. I do the pita chips by cutting them first, putting them into a bag, putting the oil in, blowing air into a bag and then banging the chips around in there. You know like those balloons with a string on the end and you punch it kinda? Yah thats what I do.

The Sieberts said...

mmm....if i remember right it was at the wedding i helped you with at the Scottish Rite, correct? i'll have to try it out!!! thanks for posting!

rentz said...

We love hummus at our house too. It is part of our traditional Christmas Eve meal. Easier yet, I never saute the garlic. And we add fresh lemon juice and some lemon zest to it. Yummy!

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Mmmm, we love it too.

It's really easy to change up the flavor too. We love to add lemon pepper and lemon juice.

Amy W said...

Yummy AND, it's full of FIBER.

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

I have always wanted to try it...I think I will....,Love your blog.. Hope you will stop by...I just added some extra giveaways...
So glad to have a few hours to blog hop.

Teresa
http://teresa-grammygirlfriend.blogspot.com/