Saturday, December 4, 2010

Orphan Day in Zambia

So, I've told you before about our trip to Africa in 2004, as well as these two little darling boys who we sponsor. Well, we received an email today that I had to share:

"Have you ever heard of an “Orphan Co-op”?

Neither have we. Till now, anyway.

Orphans in Zambia are often an unwanted burden, so relatives and peers mock them and tease them.

Kanyameza Church of Christ took an interest in local kids whose parents are dead. To give them a pleasant, accepting time, they decided to gather them a couple times a week for group activities.

They would sing together, have Bible study. Sometimes they could even share gifts of food or clothes. They selected Cecelia Siafwiyo, in the red dress, as their chairman.

The group declared December 4 as “Orphan Day”, so Cecelia invited them to Namwianga for a party.



Forty two kids came—and soon put our playground to the test.

Three of the 42 are HIV positive and on antiretroviral drugs.


This sixteen year old girl, Chrisensia, is raising her twin brothers Charles and Andrew. One of the dozens of child-led households in our community.



After lunch the kids sang, recited poems and quoted memory verses.

This is one little girl’s poem

AIDS AIDS

It killed my mother,

It killed my father,

I am an orphan.

No-one is left to love me.”


Then we shared out gifts – toys and clothes YOU have sent over here!




This little fellow got a grip on his “stuff” and wouldn’t let go!

Thank you for helping!

Roy and Kathi"

Wow. That little girl's poem kills me.

It's hard for me to see things like this and not be totally overwhelmed by the enormity of the problem. But I know that God holds these children close to his heart, and so should we. He can work in HUGE ways through our small steps of obedience.

If you and your family don't have a way to love orphans--think about sponsoring some of these beautiful children in Zambia! I can pass along the information you'd need. Just leave a comment below and I'll get in touch with you.


2 comments:

Amy said...

Can you send me the info, Kendall? Thanks!

Chad and Jody said...

Send me info, please.