Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Weekend in KC

Joel and I learned W-A-Y back last fall that the Cubs were coming to Kansas City this year to play the Royals--so we knew that game was a MUST. It ended up that my sister was able to come stay with the kids--so we got a weekend with just the 2 of us!

We found TONS of fun stuff to do--and we ate just as much. (We visited McDonald's *NOT ON PURPOSE* 3 times in one day.)

First, we went shopping at the Legends Mall...(but not being big shoppers...we mainly just walked around for a while!)

Then, we checked into our hotel--the Westin at Crown Center! Wow, was that nice. We were on the 15th floor--our view from the room:

The fountains were right across the street, and so was a Panera!!! (Yummy breakfast the next morning!)

We chose to go to an evening game, and I'm glad we did--we were dying of heat--and the next afternoon's game would have been WAY worse! It's always fun to visit another ball field--I'd never been to this one.

One highlight of a weekend away in a hotel for us is....the cable TV. Seriously. We watch a lot. This time, our newest obsession was the show "Dual Survival". Those guys are CRAZY.

The next day, we ate breakfast and then hit the College Basketball Experience. It was like an interactive museum (but not very museum-y). Joel LOVED it.
(*this was his 3rd pose, and his only non-gangsta pose. Sheesh.)

He tried to set really impossible records on every game so that no one could beat him. (I bet they didn't, either!!!)
*Can I just say--we were SORE from all that shooting??? I hardly did any--and my hip hurt for 2 days!

We also got to try our hand at sports casting. I'd say we did QUITE well.

*This was our playback. We didn't even know it was being recorded!!!

Next, it was my turn to pick: The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art! It was a lot of fun, but as usual--you could spend HOURS there...so we just picked a few favorite areas and wandered through those.

Here I am in front of one of my favorites--a Georgia O'Keefe painting!

Finally, we left for lunch at Jack Stack BBQ. Wow. The BEST ribs we'd ever had! We cleaned the whole plate!!!
(eating this many ribs takes I.N.T.E.N.S.I.T.Y)

After all that excitement, we drove home exhausted. But what a fun weekend--and a great chance to get away!

7 comments:

Amanda said...

looks like lots of fun - so glad you guys got away!

rentz said...

I love Jack Stack's. My fave is their corn casserole. So very good!

Allen and Debby Graber said...

We have been to Jack Stack's too. Yum! What a fun get-away before the baby comes!

The Veers said...

we were in K.C. this weekend too! we ate at JackStack twice! it's our favorite!! looks like you had fun.

Amy Warden said...

Glad you had a great getaway in my neck of the woods! And I love the little baby bump in the photo of you & Georgia O'Keefe. :)

Rich and Carolyn Dewey said...

Sounds like a fun get-away. We LOVE Jack Stack's too. KC is such a fun place to visit. Love the restaurant choices!!!

Denita said...

Jealous re: basketball museum and ribs. Well done.