Friday, September 26, 2008

Happy Birthday Joel!

(I meant to do this post Tuesday, but it's been a crazy week!)

Tuesday was Joel's 29th birthday. I've known him since he was 20!!! It's hard to believe it's been that long. We didn't do a whole lot that day--gave him a card, and Ollie and I surprised him at the shop with Druber's donuts for breakfast. Here's a picture of Ollie on one of their tractors:
That evening I made a carrot cake (Joel's favorite!). This weekend we're going out to Hog Wild BBQ and ColdStone for his birthday with my parents--those are his favorite restaurants. He's getting a good gift or two, as well, but I'll let him tell you about that. (No, it's not Cub's playoff tickets!)

In honor of his birthday, I've decided to write a poem:

Ode To Joel
For nine years now,
I've known this guy.
Smart, kind,
Sometimes shy.

We met that night
At the Nacho Feed,
Over salty chips
And bright orange cheese.

I'd never known someone
Who liked sports so much.
For me--it was a little
Over the top.

But he made me laugh and
Question things,
He was quick to forgive
And could even sing.

I married him
Quite willingly.
(With lots of encouragement
From my family!) :-)

Not much has changed,
As I look back.
We still like nachos
but even more than that...

We enjoy spending time
Together at home,
Playing with Ollie
Or writing a poem. (He's really good at haiku!)

Happy Birthday Joel!
We love you a lot.
I'm sure glad I decided
To give nachos a shot.

7 comments:

Joel Smith said...

Can you tell I'm pregnant? I actually cried after writing that poem...

Kendall

Unknown said...

I'm not pregnant, and I teared up reading it!!

The Sieberts said...

how cute is that! i love it!!!

Courtney e said...

Oh my emotional family. I, for one, did not shed a tear. But I am craving nachos...

the mcclenahans said...

Happy Birthday Joel! Kendall, your poem is so sweet and VERY creative!

Mark Habluetzel said...

I am bawling my eyes out... and I'm not pregnant either!
-Mark

Courtney e said...

haha... mark are you sure? i could have sworn you had a little baby bump. perhaps it was all the waffles...