Saturday, September 20, 2008

Velvet Elvis and some thoughts...

Nope...not this one.
Ahhhh yes. That's the one.

So I read another good book. DON'T STOP READING, BOOK HATERS! Listen, seriously--if you are one of those people who have ever wrestled with parts of the Bible, questioned it's validity, wondered about certain passages, or struggled with knowing what to believe and why--you should read this book!

This book asks questions that I've asked before.

It also brings up points that I had to really think through. (still thinking, actually)

It challenges some ideas that many churches still cling to.

But I LOVED it!!! I can't begin to describe what's in it. There's too much. Just read it!


One specific that this book addressed, that I've been learning in my own quest (reading through the Bible this year): God's heart is for the poor, humble, widows, orphans, etc. Is mine?

God commands that we care for those people and LOVE justice. Do I?

As I think through the New Testament--Jesus meets physical needs. He heals, feeds, raises from the dead...in fact, the only time he addresses sin FIRST is with Pharisees and other religious rulers. This challenges my priorities--how I spend my time, my money, and where my heart is. But I know that as I become more like Christ, these things must take more of a priority in my life!

On a sidenote: interesting website for Biblical history/geography/culture--
www.followtherabbi.com

4 comments:

The Sieberts said...

why is the book called Velvet Elvis?

Beth said...

Wow! Sounds like a very thought-provoking book. I'm going to have to find it and read it. Thanks for sharing about it (I'm a book lover by the way :)

Kendall Smith said...

Andrea, you'll just have to read it to find out why! :-)

Courtney e said...

So, I finally read your blog... before I didn't even get to the "DON'T STOP READING BOOK HATERS"... that's kind of funny. But I read the first page of Velvet Elvis a few weeks ago (I was bored, it was next to me, then I must have been distracted), that was good. I just have to finish "the Shack"... and then not read for a while... I need breaks, not including the weeks I go between reading the Shack. I, Courtney Johnson, am one of those "book haters" you speak of.