Thursday, April 2, 2009

I have a new...


...book to write about! (Just what you wanted to read)


Yes, I have a new niece or nephew coming at any minute too, but I thought this would get your attention.

Anyhow, I am reading two incredible books right now!

#1. I'm going through a Beth Moore study called "Daniel". Part of this book is about prophecy and end time events--so going through it has really prompted me to start researching this stuff on my own, too. It's fascinating-especially the prophecy! So much of what God spoke through dreams and prophets has already come true, exactly like it said! And it's prompted me to really get into first century history, too--since so much of Revelation pertains to that. Fascinating!

#2. This other book I'm reading, "The Blue Parakeet", has also been so good. It's one of the best books I've ever read. It's subtitled: "Rethinking how you read the Bible".
The whole premise is that there are many ways to read the Bible, and they don't all get the same results. Scot McKnight believes that we need to be reading the Story of the Bible--every book and author are little "wiki-stories" (from the wiki-pedia online)--that point us to the Story.

And when we come to contradictions? Realize that God spoke in Moses' day in Moses' way, in Jesus' day in Jesus' way, in Paul's day in Paul's way...etc. So we have to take things and figure out the context and audience to which they were spoken.

He also deals with a specific example: women in ministry. It's fascinating. Women, if you ever thought you can't do something because of the 'silencing women' passages in the scriptures--read this book! He really outlines and walks through each passage and explains the historical background for each one.

Honestly, this has been one of the most freeing books I've read in a while! If you are wanting a good book, try this one!

2 comments:

Chelsie said...

He was my professor at North Park!Sounds like a really good book. I'll have to check it out.

Amy W said...

Mine too! Small world, huh Chels?