Thursday, April 30, 2009

Be Afraid; Be VERY Afraid!

...especially if you're my dad or brother. Tuesday morning I woke up to a shuffling sound. Ollie was still in bed. Lily was sleeping. So I looked out our window at our air conditioner, thinking an animal must be playing on that. Nope.

Once I got up, I realized that sound was coming from the chimney to our stove pipe. INSIDE our house. It had to be a bird.

We heard that sound throughout the day, and once I got home from work, it started up again. That evening, after supper, we heard it again. Joel went to look and found that the bird had made it's way INTO our stove.
We put a garbage bag over the whole opening of stove, opened the door, and let him out of the bag, outside. Joel admitted that he was a teeny bit scared of birds. My brother and Dad however, are TERRIFIED.

Once, when I was maybe 7 or 8, dad came in from working in the garage. A bird had gotten in. So he asked Tyler and I to shoo him out. And we did! Ironically, one of my favorite movies is Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds". (thanks to my mom, who insisted that I watch that movie before going to college. She likes it too.)

And, if you've never seen that movie, here's a brief 50-second trailer clip.

2 comments:

The Sieberts said...

that happened to me in our apartment. a bird got into our furnace room and i was FREAKED OUT. the maintenence guy actually got in the small closet like furnace room and tackeled it down! what a brave brave man! hehe

Jen Ekeland said...

A squarrel climbed through our plumbing and ended up in our toilet the fall/winter after we first got married!