Saturday, May 2, 2009

Kendalls's Top Three...

organizational tools. Okay! I hear you laughing!!!! I know I'm not probably the one you'd have come to for organization advice (see my kitchen drawers, my classroom at school, and my closet...)
but I HAVE found a few ideas that have helped me keep sane. So, here are my top three....in no particular order.

(ahem...drum roll, please...)

#3: My list of meals
Every couple of weeks I plan out a week and a half to two weeks worth of meals. Then, I do ONE big shopping trip for all of that. It's nice to KNOW what I'm making before the morning of (or an hour before!) and it's fun to look through magazines or recipe books looking for meals. This way, I can also plan one big shopping trip for a certain morning of the week, instead of having to run to Walmart several times. (At least, that's the idea. Some weeks I completely space things out and have to go back...) And a bonus--this way saves money!

#2: My first year baby calendar
I make a 'first year' scrapbook for each kid. I like to record milestones, how much they weighed, important events, etc. for each month. To make this easy--I keep that page on our fridge and add to it when something happens. This page isn't started yet, since it's only the 2nd--but I'll add her weight from her appointment this week, the fact that she's getting dedicated on Mother's Day...things like that.

#1: My basket of goodies

This has been HUGE!!! Before, the piano became the collection place or everything: the checkbook, books, mail, checks to deposit, pictures, you name it. Now, things fit into this handy, yet stylish basket. And we always know where something is if it's not where it's supposed to be! :-)

So, if you're wanting to get ideas from expert organizers, talk to my friends Mira or Amanda, or my sister, Courtney.

But if you're just wondering what to do with all that clutter on your piano, I'm your woman!

5 comments:

Allen and Debby Graber said...

I used to do the meal plan thing too. And sometimes do now. But since we are empty-nesters, it has somehow changed and I'm making way less meals. We do a lot of left-overs. I wish I'd had your tip #2 when I was a young mom. And I can use #3 now! Thanks for the ideas!

Amanda said...

Whatever..you are SO organized!!

LOVE LOVE LOVE the meal planning and shopping for meals for 1-2 weeks. Although I WAS planning for a month and going with one big trip to the store. This month I'm trying 2 weeks, so I can compare and see which I like best. But my meal notebook has changed my life! OOOOHHH, I could blog about that! I still need to make you one!

Hmmm? Well, you know the end of our kitchen counter...that's where all our stuff gets piled. I need to do SOMETHING, but a basket would just look odd there I think. Funny, how we all have those piling places!

Thanks for thinking of organized...but you should see my office...guess we can't do it all!

Aaron and Shannon said...

I was just thinking I need something to put our bills and things in that we don't really know what to do with! Thanks for the idea!
What magazine's do you look through? I'm always needing ideas of meals. I'm telling you Amanda...I'd pay you for one of those notebooks!!!

Jeramie-Lee said...

k i wasn't going to comment but here i am. i started meal planning almost 18 mths ago...wow! i use sandi richard's cookbooks. all the work is done for you...even the grocery lists...for complete meals! the meals are fast to make, all organized but still flexible and i feel like a gourmet cook! and i certainly don't miss the stress at 5 pm of what we should have for dinner and if we even have the groceries to make it. anyways, i think she's totally fabulous and has some really great ideas about family too. let me know what you think!

Amy W said...

First, let me say that the picture of Ollie in your header is too cute! I have started the meal planning as well, and love that it saves time and money!