Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Harvest Begins...

I love this time of year. I love planting flowers. I love gardening. (Okay, I have to be honest...I love the IDEA of growing a garden.) And I love working outside in the beautiful weather. I took a few pictures last week of some of what is growing in our yard:

3 bushes of BEAUTIFUL roses.

Bright red geraniums. These are some of my favorite flowers to put into pots because #1) I can actually keep them alive and #2) they are so gorgeous. They add so much color to our yard.

In the garden area, we have:
GIANT tomato plants (cherry tomatoes, roma tomatoes and two other 'normal' kinds)

Raspberries (sure to be a BUMPER crop this year!) Oh, and I just found out how to make berry jam in my bread machine--so that will DEFINITELY be happening later this summer!

Onions, lettuce, spinach...

And radishes. Nice, healthy, radishes. I was out weeding today and realized that the radish stems were to my knees. Upon further inspection, I realized that several of the radishes were the size of apples! I'd say they're ready!
We have some other things growing too, that I'm very excited about. And I'm hoping to actually can salsa this year, as my past two attempts at freezing it did not work. So, if you know of anyone selling their canning equipment, let me know! It's high time I learned that trick.

4 comments:

Allen and Debby Graber said...

What beautiful flowers! And I don't know how to can. My mom and mother-in-law did that but I never did learn. I watched them. I guess I tried once. What fun for you! Happy summer!

The Sieberts said...

we should just have a canning party and do it together Kendall! OR when i'm not using mine, you can just borrow mine :)

Amy W said...

Kent just planted a raspberry bush and a blueberry bush in our yard last Saturday. I must say I was skeptical, but if you say they will produce, I will hold my tongue!

rentz said...

Didn't know you could grow raspberries around here. Brookie would love that!